Research Centre for Anthropology and Health
CIAS – Centro de Investigação em Antropologia e Saúde – is a research unit in the field of Biological Anthropology housed in the Department of Life Sciences, Faculty of Sciences and Technology, University of Coimbra and funded by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (UI283). CIAS was classified as “excellent” in the last evaluation of Portuguese R&D units. CIAS is the only institution in Portugal in the field of Biological Anthropology.
Main Aim: the study of the determinants of health and well-being in past and living societies from a biocultural perspective.
Primary Research Questions
- Who were our ancestors and how did they live?
- What diseases did they have? What was their diet? What were their funeral practices?
- What can we learn from our past to understand current health and disease?
- What is the role of genetics in the current patterns of disease?
- What is the role of social, economic and political factors in health and disease?
- How can our scientific discoveries improve the lives of people?