Research group: Genes, Populations and Disease (Group Coordinator)
Research Centre for Anthropology and Health (CIAS)
Department of Life Sciences
Phone number: +351 239 240 700
His work is mainly in genetic basis of human variation, in both normal and disease phenotypes.
He is actively interested in:
- genetic basis of complex diseases, including obesity and haematological conditions;
- molecular basis of human genetic diseases, with a particular focus on red cell enzyme
- population genetic studies using common genetic variation in autosomal and Y-chromosome
P1: Genetic and environmental determinants of healthy ageing and longevity.
P2: Genetic basis of haematological conditions.
- Genetics of venous thrombosis (VT) risk.
- Fetal haemoglobin (HbF) gene regulation.
P3: Study of genetic variants associated with common and morbid obesity.
P4: Y-chromosome variation in Portugal: relationships with historical or demographic events
and patrilineal surnames.
P5: Ancient DNA analyses from human skeletal remains.