PCP statement on COVID-19
The organising committee of the Portuguese Conference on Paleopathology hopes this message will find you and your family well and safe.
We made the difficult decision to reschedule the meeting originally planned to take place during the 4th and 5th of September 2020 in Évora, Portugal. We will announce the new date as soon as possible.
New deadlines for abstract submission and registration will be available in due time. Please follow us on social media (Facebook; Twitter) or our website for updates. Thank you very much for your understanding and patience
Take care of yourselves and those close to you.
See you in Évora,
7thPCP Organising Committee
Join us on social media
The Research Centre for Anthropology and Health (CIAS) in partnership with the Department of Biology of the University of Évora, the Group of Studies in Human Evolution (GEEvH) and the Department of Life Sciences of the Faculty of Sciences and Technology of the University of Coimbra, invite you for the 7th Portuguese Conference on Paleopathology.
New dates to be announced
Objectives and Target Audience:
The 7thPCP welcomes all of those interested in the study of health and disease in past populations. Students and professionals in Anthropology, Biology, Archaeology, History, Medicine and other Health Sciences are particularly welcomed.
This interdisciplinary event provides a forum for discussion and intellectual exchange considering the latest advances in palaeopathological research.
I. History of Paleopathology
II. Paleopathological cases
III. Paleopathology and interdisciplinarity
IV. Methodological advances in paleopathological research
English | Portuguese and Spanish (exceptionally accepted)
Please register on the online platform (here).
There are two deadlines for abstract submission:
New dates to be announced
We decided to have two deadline so that researchers who need more time to plan their trips can attend. The results from the 1st call will be out first than those from the second call.
Early bird (New dates to be announced )
40€ – Students*;
60€ – GEEvH members**, CIAS members;
80€ – Other participants.
Late (New dates to be announced )
80€ – Students*;
120€ – GEEvH members**, CIAS members;
160€ – Other participants.
* A proof of student status should be sent to the email: email@example.com
** Only member with 2019’s fees up to date (more information in http://geevh.jimdo.com/).
Call for abstracts:
The participants must send, by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), a document (in Word or compatible format) containing the following items:
– Author(s) and institutional address(s);
– E-mail of one of the authors;
– Abstract (maximum 200 words);
– Keywords (maximum 6);
– Indication if it is a proposal for oral or poster communication;
– Indication if the work competes for the best student presentation prize.
Abstracts will be subject to peer review and should be written in English.
- Both oral communications and posters should be written in English but, exceptionally, may be presented in Portuguese or Spanish;
- The oral communications will have a maximum duration of 15 minutes (plus 5 min discussion) and only electronic supports in PowerPoint or similar will be accepted;
- A laptop/PC with Windows 10 will be available;
- Authors should inform the Organizing Committee in due time about the possible need for other equipment or adapters;
- Posters may have a maximum size of 120 cm (length/height) x 90 cm (width), with free drawing and layout;
- The author(s) of each poster must be present with the poster during the respective session (consult the schedule of sessions in the book “Abstracts-Program” that will be delivered at the reception of the 7thPCP).
Student Award Competition Guidelines
1. Students currently registered in a Bachelor, Master or PhD program in Anthropology or related fields are eligible for the Student Award Competition. A proof of student status must be submitted at the time of registration. Those who have completed the terminal degree (defense and certificate issued) prior to the abstract submission deadline are not eligible.
2. The first author must indicate on the Abstract Submission that the podium or poster communication is being entered in the Student Award Competition. Podium or poster formats are both accepted in the competition., and two separate awards will be granted (Best Poster Presentation and Best Podium Presentation).
3. Multi-authored papers are accepted, but the student must be the first author, leading researcher, must present the communication (podium or paper) and must be registered in the meeting. Students that won a Student Award Competition in the2018 edition of thePortuguese Conference on Paleopathology are not eligible.
4. The abstract must be accepted by the Scientific Program Committee of the meeting.
5. The work cannot have been published or presented in any other meetingpriorly.
6. A copy of the poster (.pdf format) or communication (PowerPoint format) must be submitted by email to the Organizing Committee one week prior to the start of the meeting. Podium/posters NOT received by the due date will be disqualified from the competition. 7. Winners of the competition will be announced at the close of the meeting. A certificate of the award will be issued to the winners.
Ana Luísa Santos, University of Coimbra
Eugénia Cunha, University of Coimbra
Charlotte Roberts, University of Durham
Cláudia Cunha, Universidade Federal do Piauí
Jane Buikstra, Arizona State University
Assumpció Malgosa, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Useful phone numbers:
Taxi +351 266 734 734
Police +351 266 702 022
The university of Évora offers the possibility of staying at one of its student housing. At António Gedeão housing you can stay one or more nights between the 3rd and 7th of September (15.90€/night). The bedrooms are double without private bathroom. Each floor has shared bathrooms and kitchen. If you would like to stay there please contact Ms Rita Martins (email@example.com) for more information.
Here you can find a map with useful places, what to visit in Évora and its surroundings, restaurants and places with free WiFi.
Use the map’s layers (arrow on the left side of the map) for an easier navigation.